Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Dont jump into the deep end if you cant swim

I had my second interview at Trump Intl. yesterday and met with the General Manager. It was great to see a GM of a top 6 hotel of NYC very calm and collected. He genuinely seemed interested to just chat with me and didn't act rushed. It really said something about the culture of the hotel. After that was done the HR person came back to see me and told me they wanted to offer me a position on accounts that my references checked out and my drug test came back okay. SWEET! If everything works out I will definitely take the job.

After the interview at Trump I braved the arctic winds rushing at me and arrived at the Hilton NY for my next interview with a wind blown Afro. Let me start by saying this hotel is a polar opposite from Trump. Trump is about 200 rooms where the Hilton NY is the largest hotel in the city at 2,000 rooms. Not only was the size an opposite from Trump, I felt like everything was out of control and rushed. To add to this I felt that I was over my head when they asked me what my management style was....I have never felt like ending and interview before until then. I wanted to say, "I'm sorry, maybe we misunderstood each other. You obviously have seen my resume before the interview and have noticed I don't have much experience as a manager so why did you call me in if you are only going to act like I'm crazy for wanting to pursue housekeeping management? I'm going to let myself out." I understood they just "wanted to me to know what I might be getting myself into", but come on, as much as it is an interview to me I'm also interviewing the hotel.

What the experience really showed me is that I should grow within a company and not jump in to water that is deeper than I am.

-Jonathan

2 comments:

Melissa said...

WAY TO GO!!!! You must be so excited. I hope it all goes well for you and that you love your new job!

michelle said...

jonathan....so, so proud of you yet again!! i think if you can make it there, you're set just about anywhere! sorry i missed your call today...would've loved to hear your great news personally!! am working all weekend, so maybe i can catch up with you next week?